Written by Nellie Lazar, CRS
Summer is officially here, and I’m so excited! Yes, Summer is my favorite season. I’m not a fan of the triple-digit temp, but gimme that 90-degree weather and I’m a happy girl. I’ll take warm over cold any day! Summertime always takes me back to my childhood and reminds me of all my best memories. Summer is also my favorite time to travel… probably because anywhere with an ocean is where I prefer to be, and what better time to travel to beachy locales than Summer! We’re treading lightly this year due to the lingering covid virus, but I’m not letting that stop me from enjoying my Summer. Here are some of my favorite ideas to help you make the most of your Summer too:
- Get your home summer-ready by lightening up the clutter. Put away those winter throws and bring in some fresh flowers or plants. Accent your tabletops with fresh warm-weather scents like this Nest x Gray Malin collab Amalfi Lemon candle, here.
- Be ready for impromptu cocktails and stock up on homemade simple syrup, lemons, limes, mint, and other favorite ingredients. Next time you’re in the mood for a refreshing libation, you’ll have everything you need.
- Get your outdoor space ready for guests by cleaning the furniture and adding some updated accents. Refresh with colorful accent pillows that make you feel like Summer.
- Invest in a hammock or swing chair, and then spend lazy Summer nights lounging outdoors with a good book.
- Adorn your outdoor space with patio umbrellas and string lights, then invite over a few friends or neighbors for drinks or dinner al fresco.
- Buy new and fun floaties that will entice your guests to dive in like this one, here .
- Create a picnic basket filled with supplies and keep it in your trunk with a portable umbrella and picnic blanket, then go day-tripping to a nearby park, lake, or beach and soak up the summer vibes. Check out these here and here.
- Stock up on beverages that are typically enjoyed in the Summer. Don’t wait for company, enjoy it whenever you’d like. I especially like Rosé this time of year, so I always keep some chilled. I’m loving this one, here.
- Set up your yard with outdoor games like croquet, pétanque, or corn hole. It will motivate you to have friends over!
- Plan a day trip to a beach or lake.
- Find a winery nearby, and plan a tasting day with friends. Try sparkling wines and rosés in keeping with the season.
- Look for local outdoor concerts, then pack that picnic basket and gather some buds and go enjoy.
- Stage a progressive dinner with neighbors and take turns going to each other’s yards for each course.
- Go to the local farmer’s market and plan your meals for the coming week around the fruits and veggies you’ve purchased.
- Make ice cream or gelato from scratch. I like this recipe here https://giadzy.com/recipes/ chocolate-hazelnut-gelato-giada-de-laurentiis.
- Grab your yoga mat and take your yoga practice outside… on the porch, patio, or under a tree. Or, maybe you gather your friends and take your practice to the local park.
- Go for walks in the sunshine… with your dog, friend, or solo with a favorite podcast in your ear.
- Go for lunch or dinner al fresco at a restaurant known for great people watching.
- Ride your bike to the farmer’s market or park.
- Set up a backyard movie screen and invite friends or the neighborhood kids for an outdoor movie night.
- Make s’mores and tell ghost stories under the stars.
Have a dance party under your stringed lights… even by yourself, go for it!
- Plant an herb and vegetable garden. Nothing better than fresh-picked tomatoes and basil!
- Try pickling your own vegetables.
- Experiment with grilling stone fruits and then serve them with that homemade gelato.
- Buy books set in the travel destinations you hope to visit and start manifesting your next vacation. Discover writers like Peter Mayle and Frances Mayes whose novels and travel diaries take place in Tuscany and Provence.
I hope these suggestions will help you capture that Endless Summer Feeling. Cheers to a fabulous summer, friends!!